GARDENIA IS COMMITTED TO MANAGING ITS ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
Gardenia recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
Jamie Grant, the owner and founder of Gardenia of London, is responsible for ensuring that the environmental policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We endeavour to:
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions
- Increase employee awareness and training
PACKAGING & CONSUMABLES
- We use compostable eco paper tape instead of plastic sticky tape
- Gardenia branded ribbon is made from 100% recycled used plastic bottles (and can be returned to us for re-use)
- We use home compostable handtie bags (including 100% cotton handles)
- We use Nutscene natural twine, which is home compostable and made by traditional methods in Scotland.
- Our real rubber bands made from sustainable and renewable resources and are home compostable
- We use home compostable sleeves made from FSC-certified paper to wrap flowers for display in pavement buckets, instead of plastic sleeves.
- Our gel packs (with a green leaf symbol) are made from recycled resources and, in turn, are recyclable
- The gel we use for cut flowers is manufactured in the UK and is non-toxic and is total miscible with water
- Our signature wrapping paper is manufactured in the UK, made from FSC certified paper and is home compostable
- From November 2021, we will be using Nature Flex film sheets instead of plastic sheets, these are 100% home compostable and are manufactured in the UK.
- We use cleaning materials that are as environmentally friendly as possible.
ENERGY & WATER
- We seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing
- We are conscious of our use of water and seek to use it in the most efficient way possible
WASTE & RECYCLING
- We use First Mile Recycling to manage our waste
- All flower and plant waste is converted into green energy and nutrient-rich fertilizer
- We send zero waste to landfill
- We review recycling reports on a monthly basis and make ourselves aware of how we can continually improve on the KPI’s provided by our supplier
- We recycle all flexible plastics
- We encourage employees and contractors to travel to work by bicycle or public transport
- We make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles
- We promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing
- When the need for replacement arises, we will consider ‘greener’ transportation investments such as hybrid delivery vans
MONITORING & IMPROVEMENT
- We comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements
- We continually improve and monitor environmental performance
- We continually improve and reduce environmental impacts
- We incorporate environmental factors into business decisions
- We increase employee awareness through training
- We review this policy and any related business issues at our bi-annual whole company meetings
- We involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance
- We update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary
- We provide staff with relevant environmental training
- We work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance
- We use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community